USA: Engineered Materials Celanese Announces Global Capacity Expansions
Celanese announced plans to expand the capacity of its global compounding assets and certain product-specific manufacturing production sites to support the growth in its engineered materials business.
Dallas/USA — As the global demand for specialty materials increases in key industries such as medical, automotive, consumer goods and electronics, Celanese plans capacity expansions at selected facilities, which — along with recent acquisitions — will enable the company to cover the increasing need for compounded specialty materials, long-fiber thermoplastics and ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene. The current projects are expected to be completed in the 2018-2019 timeframe. Financial details were not being disclosed at this time.
Compounding Capacity Expansions
• In the Asia region: Addition of two production lines at its Nanjing, China facility and one production line at the recently acquired Suzhou, China facility.
• In the Americas region: Addition of two production lines at the Florence, Kentucky facility, as well as expansion of compounding production capacity at the Bishop, Texas facility.
• In the European region: Addition of one new production line at the recently acquired Forli, Italy facility.
The company expects these new production lines and expansions will add approximately 50-60 kt per year in compounding capacity and also expects through the debottlenecking of existing global production lines to see an additional 10-15 kt per year capacity of compounded material production capability.
LFT Capacity Expansions
• In the Americas region: Addition of one new Celstran long-fiber thermoplastics (LFT) production line at the Winona, Minnesota facility as well as debottlenecking existing production lines at this facility.
The company expects through this expansion and the debottlenecking of existing global LFT production lines to see an additional 9 kt per year of capacity.
GUR UHMW-PE Capacity Expansions
• In the Asia region, the manufacturer is in the planning stages of one new GUR ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMW-PE) production line at its Nanjing, China facility.
The company expects this new production line to add approximately 15 kt per year of new GUR UHMW-PE product capacity.