The Netherlands: Chemical Safety and Protection Cefic Announces Winners for European Responsible Care 2018
The winners have been awarded for their innovative projects that focus on improving health, safety and environmental standards in the chemical industry. Spearheaded by Cefic, the industry council aims to advance the Responsible Care programme in Europe.
Amsterdam/The Netherlands - At its annual General Assembly, held on October 25, Cefic announced the winners of this year’s European Responsible Care Awards. The awards recognise excellence in improving health, safety and environmental standards in the chemical industry.
The 2018 winners:
• BASF received the Chemical Safety Award for its successful multi-year stakeholder engagement programme to demonstrate the safety of nanomaterials to regulators and NGOs;
• Reckhaus & Co won the Environmental Responsibility Award for its innovative project Insect Respect, which ensures ecological compensation for the insects killed by a biocide;
• The Sustainability Workplace Award went to Versalis with the development of a safety perception and behavioural model to improve the employee safety culture and ethics at Versalis’ facilities;
• essenscia, the Belgian Federation for Chemistry and Life Sciences industries carried off the National Associations Award for their capacity-building project to help Belgian SMEs comply with the EU chemicals legislation, including support in meeting the last Reach registration deadline.
Though not selected as winners, the jury gave a special mention to:
• The Association of the Chemical Industry of Czech Republic for their project aimed at engaging with young people to encourage them to study chemistry and join the chemical industry;
• The UK Chemical Industries Association for revising the Responsible Care Guiding Principles for its members.
Responsible Care is a global initiative by the chemical industry to improve health and environmental performance, enhance safety, and to communicate with stakeholders about products and processes. Cefic’s role is to advance the Responsible Care programme in Europe, promoting and ensuring consistency of implementation by national member federations and member companies. Cefic has held the European Responsible Care Awards since 2005 to recognise outstanding approaches to Responsible Care and Sustainable Development.
The Responsible Care Award jury consists of the following people:
• Emma Argutyan, Director General of the European Chemical Employers Group, ECEG
• John Baker, ICIS Chemical Business
• Simon Minett, Managing Director, Challoch Energy
• Sylvain Clemendot, Total Refining (2017 RC Award winner)