“As a Service” will be an important trend. This is applicable not only to Software. The new business models from Internet of Things or Industry 4.0 frequently come in the form of services for the users. An additional example from the Automobile industry: 35 % of the value-added of an automobile is allocated to Electronics and Software. In a few years, this proportion should increase to 50 %. Think of all sensors, systems for engine and transmission control, air conditioning, braking and stability control, navigation systems and all assistance systems, which focus on road safety. Per minute travel time results into three to four Gigabyte data through these systems.
Also, this data can lead to great benefits, when the Automobile sector shall be a part of “Internet of Things” going forward:
- Your navigation system tells you not only regarding the location of the car park, but also regarding the number of free parking spaces.
- Then you can also reserve these parking spaces.
- The maintenance of the elevator is optimized from the data obtained.
- And a perfect traffic forecast is created from the movement of vehicles in a specific road area.
- You can also derive weather report from this data. Think of the temperature measurement and the data of windscreen wiper. You can also derive ice warning from this, if the slippage information of the wheels is evaluated for this.
- Conclusions can also be drawn for road handling from the data in Automobile. The first insurance company has announced better tariffs to defensive drivers, if you enable access to your data in the vehicle to the insurance company.
By now, ask the question, whether you are willing to do so. We should also clarify, to whom the data is actually related, which develops in the vehicle? The driver, the owner, the manufacturer? Many questions are to be clarified in the context of digitalization, which we should also ask during the transformation of these examples in the process industry.
This article is protected by copyright. You want to use it for your own purpose? Contact us via: support.vogel.de/ (ID: 43590584 / Control & Automation)