Hydro–Electric Energy Hydro–Electric Energy Grows

Editor: Dominik Stephan

With a growing demand for energy and the scarcity of fossil fuels hydro–electric power projects grow as new plants are being constructed and old undergo modernising. Especially in Asia and Africa world–scale projects are underway.

Related Companies

An analysis of hydro business activity in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America during the past year shows 153 confirmed contracts were issued for work related to new construction or refurbishment of existing plants. In addition, tender opportunities were announced for 311 projects. (Picture: Hydroworld)
An analysis of hydro business activity in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America during the past year shows 153 confirmed contracts were issued for work related to new construction or refurbishment of existing plants. In addition, tender opportunities were announced for 311 projects. (Picture: Hydroworld)

Worldwide, hydropower develops at a rapid pace, recent figures indicate. More than 900 projects with as much as 200,000 mw of electrical generation capacity are currently being developed. Moreover, several thousand proposed projects with aggregate capacity on the order of 800,000 mw provide plenty of opportunity for future development,

Currently, 153 confirmed contracts were issued for a recent one-year period in the regions of Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America, related to new construction or refurbishment of hydro plants involving a total of more than 37,200 mw.

Hydropower With Big Potentials in Africa

Analyst see big potentials for hydropower in Africa, where currently the 1,870-mw Gilgel Gibe 3 dam in Ethiopia and a development concession award for the 1,000-mw Sounda project in the Congo Republic, but also in India, where currently several projects are underway. China is about to add a new 1,200-mw pumped–storage power plant at Hohhot to its grid.

Europe and the US Modernise Existing Installations

While most big new installations will be build in the emerging economies, the classic industrialised countries in Europe or the US are overhauling and modernising big parts of their hydropower generating capacity. Especially engine builders are expected to profit from machinery revamps and the construction of three big pumped storage installations in Austria, analysts believe.

Hydro–Electric Boom Boosts Tender Opportunities

Business activity in the five regions also resulted in tender opportunities of nearly 92,000 mw. Of these tenders, about 52 percent were related to new capacity; the other 48 percent were associated with refurbishment of existing capacity.

Asia led the way with tender opportunities for new capacity. Over the past year, 113 tenders for projects totaling 17,400 mw were announced in Asia. For refurbishment-related tenders, the most active regions were North America (51 tenders for 20,465 mw) and Europe (24 tenders for 17,200 mw).

(ID:32839520)