China: Joint Venture Officially Inaugurated High Performance PPS Compounds

Editor: Alexander Stark

Royal DSM, a global science-based company active in health, nutrition and materials, and specialty chemicals producer Zhejiang NHU Special Materials, have officially inaugurated their joint venture company for polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) compounds, DSM NHU Engineering Plastics (Zhejiang).

Related Companies

Royal DSM and Zhejiang NHU Special Materials have officially inaugurated their joint venture on August, 22.
Royal DSM and Zhejiang NHU Special Materials have officially inaugurated their joint venture on August, 22.
(Source: Royal DSM)

Zhejiang/China — The joint venture, which was announced May 2015, has been established in Zhejiang province, close to NHU’s linear PPS polymer plant in Shangyu, for manufacturing of the high performance compounds.

DSM has a 60 % share in DSM NHU Engineering Plastics (Zhejiang), with NHU holding the remaining 40 %. Products, which are branded Xytron PPS, are marketed globally and targeted principally at automotive, electrical and electronics, water management and industrial markets. DSM will be marketing the product globally, including China. The joint venture will take over NHU’s existing compounding capacity. DSM for its part brings its long-standing expertise in application development and materials science, as well as access to its global customer network.

DSM NHU Engineering Plastics (Zhejiang) is initially offering two standard commercial grades. These are Xytron G4010T, containing 40 % glass fiber reinforcement, and Xytron M6510A, which contains 65 % glass fiber and mineral filler. Recently DSM has added to its portfolio a 30 % glass reinforced grade and a 40 % glass reinforced low chlorine grade (especially important for electronic applications) which are currently being evaluated by customers. Grades under development include types with enhanced wear resistance and low friction, with high flow/low flash, and with increased impact strength.

In the run-up to the official inauguration, the joint venture has already captured business in three important applications in both China and Europe, with materials currently being evaluated by numerous customers, including key automotive OEMs and Tier Ones. One of the three products already commercialized is an engine block heater for electric generators, which is required to operate in continuous contact with water at temperatures between 35 and 50°C.

(ID:44239914)