Technical Gases Air Products to Supply Hydrogen and Other Gases to BPCL
Air Products, the leading global hydrogen provider, has signed a long-term agreement with Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) and will build, own, and operate several new industrial gas production facilities in Kochi, Kerala...
Kochi/India - The new industrial gas complex will provide hydrogen, syngas, nitrogen and oxygen for BPCL’s Kochi Refinery and its proposed petrochemicals complex. The facilities will support India’s outsourced hydrogen requirement and will result in Air Products’ first hydrogen production facilities in India. A phased onstream for the products supplied to BPCL’s Kochi Refinery targets late 2015 for the initial supply of gases.
Under the agreement, Air Products will provide an innovative combination of the following plant technologies:
- • two steam methane reformer (SMR) trains combining to produce approximately 16.4 tonnes per hour (approximately 165 million standard cubic feet per day) of hydrogen to be used in the production of cleaner burning transportation fuels and petrochemicals;
- • a cryogenic syngas purification system to produce syngas, a mixture of purified hydrogen and carbon monoxide;
- • steam generated from Air Products’ units for BPCL’s manufacturing process;
- • an air separation unit to produce nitrogen and oxygen for the refinery and petrochemical complex; and
- • a gas turbine to produce power for the Air Products facilities.
“This important investment supports Air Products’ commitment to the Indian market and will help to make BPCL’s Kochi Refinery the largest and most viable public sector refinery in the country,” said Howard Castle-Smith, regional vice president, Tonnage Gases Europe, Middle East, Africa and India.
“The agreement also supports Air Products’ strategy of supplying refineries with industrial gases as they continue to expand, and also as new grassroots refineries are built to meet growing energy demand. Once onstream, this location will become a benchmark reference facility in the region and demonstrate our technological and operational excellence.” Castle-Smith added that this follows Air Products’ well-established on-site business model of winning profitable projects by signing long-term agreements with reputable customers.